Back to Legislation
PETS Act - H.R.3858 Edit
- The Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act
- Requires local and state emergency preparedness authorities to include in their evacuation plans how they will accommodate household pets or service animals in case of a disaster. Local and state authorities must submit these plans in order to qualify for grants from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
See also Edit
- HSUS.org H.R.3858 - Take Action Petition
- ThePetitionSite.com Petition: Don't Abandon Pets in Disasters
- Thomas.loc.gov H.R.3858 - Status and Text
- To amend the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act to ensure that State and local emergency preparedness operational plans address the needs of individuals with household pets and service animals following a major disaster or emergency.
- Rep Lantos, Tom [CA-12] (introduced 9/22/2005) Cosponsors (89)
- Latest Major Action
- 9/23/2005 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management.
- Congressman Tom Lantos (D-CA) Press Release (Sept. 22, 2005)
- Congressman Christopher Shays (R-CT) Press Release (Sept. 22, 2005)
- Letter to Secretary Michael Chertoff (DHS) (Sept. 14, 2005) From Lantos and Shay (PDF file)